Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Travel Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ptown_trojans_1 View Post
    Wife and I are doing a little vacation down to Charlotte to visit a few friends over the weekend, and then spending a week in Charleston, S.C.
    I know we have a few posters that are down in that area. Outside of the typical bbq places (Lewis, Husk, Hannibal's, Rodney Scott's, etc.), are there others good places to eat?
    We will probably just stay near the city, but plan on doing a plantation tour and seeing Ft Sumpter as well.
    Michaels on the Alley was my favorite steak, and their bartender made a killer Old Fashioned (recommend hitting up the basement bar before meal, very old time, prohibition feel).

We did Boone Hall plantation because we wanted the Avenue of the Oaks picture...and it did not disappoint. But I've heard great things about Magnolia as well. Boone Hall is where The Notebook was filmed, if your wife is into that,
    There's nothing more nerve racking than waiting in the McDonald's drive thru at 10:57 and wanting breakfast. -- Cody Zeller

Been to a restaurant called Blue in downtown Charlotte.

Very good.

Do you know that one, iclfan2?
    Last edited by BRF; 10.04.2017 at 10:58 PM.

333 - I'm only half evil CenterBHSFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Laley23 View Post
    We did Boone Hall plantation because we wanted the Avenue of the Oaks picture...and it did not disappoint. But I've heard great things about Magnolia as well. Boone Hall is where The Notebook was filmed, if your wife is into that,
    It was also the home of Orry Main of North/South fame. Loved that movie even though it veered from the book!
    "Beauty without Vanity,
    Strength without Insolence,
    Courage without Ferocity,
    "

Found a very cheap deal to Paris during MLK weekend. I know we have several posters who have been. Top priority for me = food recommendations. Go!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiernan View Post
    Alright guys, I have a confession. I really am a drunk dead beat POS. My kids hate me and hope I die so they can at least collect my $10 of inheritance. I have no life .

Quote Originally Posted by like_that View Post
    Found a very cheap deal to Paris during MLK weekend. I know we have several posters who have been. Top priority for me = food recommendations. Go!
    If you do nothing else, go here for lunch. One of bridesmaids lived in Paris for 2 years and took us. Apparently their brunch is fantastic, but only Sunday's. We went for lunch and got the heirloom tomato salad, egg yolk ravioli, fried chicken, and kintoa pork. Those 4 were fantastic. We had 6 total and it fed 3 of us perfectly. I think it is a rotating menu, but it was all very fresh and delicious.

http://www.ellsworthparis.com

I have a few more suggestions at home that I can't think of off the top of my head. I get back Monday and will try to post them. This was my/our favorite meal of the entire trip though.
    There's nothing more nerve racking than waiting in the McDonald's drive thru at 10:57 and wanting breakfast. -- Cody Zeller

I don't have any specific recommendations, but everything I ate there was fantastic.

As for sights, Montmartre was my personal fav.

Quote Originally Posted by iclfan2 View Post
    PM me with specific questions. There is amazing food here. Husk isn't BBq, it's more higher end dining (James Beard award winner Sean Brock, who also owns McCrady's and Minero). For BBQ you hit the nail on the head with Rodney Scott as traditional southern whole hog BBQ, Home team also southern, and Lewis which is Austin Texas inspired (and amazing brisket). FIG is exceptional, Obstinate daughter on IOP is very good, it really depends on what type of food you are looking for and where you will be. I'd start making reservations for popular restaurants now.

Fort Sumpter is very cool, the USS Yorktown is also an interesting tour if you haven't been on a carrier before (there is also a small battleship and submarine included in the price). There are many plantations so I would just look up which one you would like to go to. The main ones are probably Magnolia or Middleton, and then there is a still working one in Mt. P called Boone Hall. There are also 3 beaches, shopping, and other things to do.
    Michaels on the Alley was my favorite steak, and their bartender made a killer Old Fashioned (recommend hitting up the basement bar before meal, very old time, prohibition feel).

Thanks for the recs. We did Lewis bbq when we rolled in for lunch and it was amazing brisket and hot sausage. We did Husk for dinner. One of the best southern meals I have had. I love how they change the menu daily. We did some tours downtown that was nice, saw the French area. I had a drink at the Gin Joint, and that was delicious. They had an apple whiskey cocktail that tasted like fall.

Did Boone Hall yesterday morning. The wife loved it and I didn't mind it either. Beautiful scenery. We did some house tours yesterday as well and finished with some soul food at Nana's Seafood and Soul.

We are awaiting on friends to drive down from Myrtle for today and tomorrow. Plans are lunch at Rodney's bbq today and dinner at Fig with some bar hopping at Prohibition, 492, the Cocktail Club, Proof, and the Belmont. We will do Sumpter tomorrow AM as it has been hot and humid as shit down here.

Outside the heat, I do love it down here.
    "Anything easy ain't worth a damn." Woody

I lied, we found an even better deal to Amsterdam, so we are doing that now. I know the food isn't as good as Paris, but any recs? Beer? Other shit?
    Alright guys, I have a confession. I really am a drunk dead beat POS. My kids hate me and hope I die so they can at least collect my $10 of inheritance. I have no life .

Do you watch Fuck That's Delicious? They go to this Thai place called Thaise, and it looks amazing. I will definitely be going there next time I'm in Amsterdam.

I pretty much just partied and ate junk food both times I was there. I'm not a museum guy, but the Van Gogh Museum was awesome, highly recommend it. It's also right close to Vondelpark which is a cool place to chill and crack a few beers.

Quote Originally Posted by Automatik View Post
    Do you watch Fuck That's Delicious? They go to this Thai place called Thaise, and it looks amazing. I will definitely be going there next time I'm in Amsterdam.

I pretty much just partied and ate junk food both times I was there. I'm not a museum guy, but the Van Gogh Museum was awesome, highly recommend it. It's also right close to Vondelpark which is a cool place to chill and crack a few beers.
    I do watch it, and plan to rewatch the Amsterdam episode. What an awesome show to host.

Senior Pwner Commander of Awesome's Avatar
    I lied, we found an even better deal to Amsterdam, so we are doing that now. I know the food isn't as good as Paris, but any recs? Beer? Other shit?
    I dont recall the name of the cafe (it was near a canal [LOL]) but I legit had the most insane/best apple pie I have ever had in Amsterdam. Apparently it's a thing.
    "The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."

Reppin' the 330/216/843 iclfan2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ptown_trojans_1 View Post
    Thanks for the recs. We did Lewis bbq when we rolled in for lunch and it was amazing brisket and hot sausage. We did Husk for dinner. One of the best southern meals I have had. I love how they change the menu daily. We did some tours downtown that was nice, saw the French area. I had a drink at the Gin Joint, and that was delicious. They had an apple whiskey cocktail that tasted like fall.

Did Boone Hall yesterday morning. The wife loved it and I didn't mind it either. Beautiful scenery. We did some house tours yesterday as well and finished with some soul food at Nana's Seafood and Soul.

We are awaiting on friends to drive down from Myrtle for today and tomorrow. Plans are lunch at Rodney's bbq today and dinner at Fig with some bar hopping at Prohibition, 492, the Cocktail Club, Proof, and the Belmont. We will do Sumpter tomorrow AM as it has been hot and humid as shit down here.

Outside the heat, I do love it down here.
    Sounds like you hit all the legit spots, and your plan for the next two days are solid. I haven't eaten at FIG but it is supposed to be amazing. It is hot as hell, even in the middle of October. I usually wear shorts on Christmas. I live a couple miles north of Boone Hall out in suburbia Mt. Pleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by Commander of Awesome View Post
    I dont recall the name of the cafe (it was near a canal [LOL]) but I legit had the most insane/best apple pie I have ever had in Amsterdam. Apparently it's a thing.
    I figured you would have some beer recs.

Senior Pwner Commander of Awesome's Avatar
    I figured you would have some beer recs.
    I went here: http://beertemple.nl/

They had an insane tap list including beers from Hoppin' Frog which surprised me.
    "The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."

Chief Shenanigans Officer O-Trap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Commander of Awesome View Post
    I went here: http://beertemple.nl/

They had an insane tap list including beers from Hoppin' Frog which surprised me.
    "When has anyone ever been persuaded by being insulted or labeled? [...] That's why people wait until they're in the voting booth. No one's watching anymore. There's no blame or shame or anything, and you can finally say what you really think, and that is a powerful thing." - Thomas Walker as Jonathan Pie

Any suggestion for great steak houses in chicago?
    Indians: 2017 ALDS runners-up!

Quote Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
    You want chains or no? Not bad chains, but the top of the line steakhouse chains.

Yes. But you can GFY.

You want chains or no? Not bad chains, but the top of the line steakhouse chains.
    Either is fine. Will be staying at trump towers so something in the area would be best. Thanks.
    Indians: 2017 ALDS runners-up!

It is probably closed now because of the weather, but the outdoor bar at Trump Tower - 16th floor I think - is fabulous with spectacular views. Gene & Georgetti has some great steak, the bone-in filet is worth the $58.

paying it forward
    #goTribe #goCavs #goBrowns #goBucks

they have steaks but i always enjoy the dinning at The Village https://italianvillage-chicago.com/the-village/
    They do have a very good selection ... enjoy
    “Never invest in anything based on color”
    "From my cold dead hand will they have to remove my weapon"

Of ones Ive been too:

1a. Mastros
    1b. Del Friscos (The atmosphere is great)
    3. Bavettes
    4. Chicago Cut
    5. Gibsons
    6. Prime and Provisions

Have heard very good things about RPM and Chicago Chop as well

for lunch stop in at " Eleven" cornbeef
    “Never invest in anything based on color”
    "From my cold dead hand will they have to remove my weapon"

Of ones Ive been too:

1a. Mastros
    1b. Del Friscos (The atmosphere is great)
    3. Bavettes
    4. Chicago Cut
    5. Gibsons
    6. Prime and Provisions

Have heard very good things about RPM and Chicago Chop as well
    Next time try Maple & Ash if you haven’t already. So fucking delicious.

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast