Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: The WCAL 2017

Serious question. I agree he was not a great coach, but not a bad one either. He won games he shouldn't have, and lost ones he should have won. My question is what does Smithville really think they are going to get that is so much better? I could see if they were a doormat, but they have been competitive, and advanced In the playoffs. This isn't a shot at Smithville, I'm just stating that Chuck Kyle isn't leaving Ignatius for Smithville. I'm honestly not trying to be a smart a**, I just think D5, D6, and D7 schools sometimes become delusional in terms of what coach they can get and retain. These schools tend to be stepping stones for good coaches. Chippewacoach surprised most by staying, and I'm sure the opportunity will present itself at Dalton. It's really a crap shoot at lower level divisons you either get a retread, or young unproven coach.

maybe maltrich will come back to the WCAL? Zuercher? Or Bill Dennis?

WCAL observer, could not disagree with you more! Why should Smithville settle for being mediocre? Lets bring in some fresh ideas and leadership. I hope that BOE is smart enough to hire from outside the area and not just move some assistant coach up. As for quality coaches at small schools, just take a look at the MAC and CVC (two small school leagues that are State powers.) , those coaches have stayed put and not gone on to bigger schools.

Chief Shenanigans Officer O-Trap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcat View Post
    maybe maltrich will come back to the WCAL? Zuercher? Or Bill Dennis?
    I'd be interested in seeing Maltrich. Maaaaybe Zuercher.

But Bill Dennis?

Quote Originally Posted by oldsmithie View Post
    WCAL observer, could not disagree with you more! Why should Smithville settle for being mediocre? Lets bring in some fresh ideas and leadership. I hope that BOE is smart enough to hire from outside the area and not just move some assistant coach up. As for quality coaches at small schools, just take a look at the MAC and CVC (two small school leagues that are State powers.) , those coaches have stayed put and not gone on to bigger schools.
    It's worth noting that those schools have ongoing traditions that have been largely perpetuated BY those coaches. In effect, it's still not necessarily realistic for the school to expect that kind of longevity. Instead, it is only realistic for the coach to bring that kind of longevity. Basically, it's an exception to the rule that is more in spite of the school size and because of the coach. We've seen it in the WCAL, but it's hardly the norm.

I'm also curious what Smithville expects to get. Make no mistake, Besancon is no Schrock, either in coaching style or caliber. But he was shaped in no small part by Schrock, so there are elements of Schrock's style that he can still bring.

It's easy to forget the speed bumps after someone leaves a good legacy, but despite Schrock's well-deserved legacy (I would personally argue that he's the best small-school area head coach in my lifetime, Jim France included), he did coach teams that lost games they should have won. Waynedale in '98? Chippewa in '99? Northwestern in '01? Monroe-Central in '01? Pleasant in '02 (I hate to cast aspersions on a State Title game, but they WERE winning into the third quarter, I believe)? Hillsdale in '05? Northwestern in '06?

But he did a ton to get his teams UP for games too, rising to meet teams that were superior in talent, size and speed. Dalton, Amanda-Clearcreek, and Shenandoah in '01. Dalton, Bedford St. Peter Chanel, and Delphos St. Johns in '02. Waynedale in '03. Dalton in '04. Dalton and Norwayne in '05. Norwayne in '11.

My point is, while I don't think Besancon is as good as Schrock, I'm not sure Smithville will find a candidate who is, and I think Besancon was definitely good. At least worth being treated as the bird in the hand, and with time, I could have seen him becoming a great coach.

After all again, he played under and coached under the Godfather himself. He knew what a successful program looked like from the inside, both as a player and as a coach.
    Last edited by O-Trap; 11.27.2017 at 12:34 PM.
    "When has anyone ever been persuaded by being insulted or labeled? [...] That's why people wait until they're in the voting booth. No one's watching anymore. There's no blame or shame or anything, and you can finally say what you really think, and that is a powerful thing." - Thomas Walker as Jonathan Pie

Mike Baker New Head Coach!

Quote Originally Posted by O-Trap View Post
    I'd be interested in seeing Maltrich. Maaaaybe Zuercher.

But Bill Dennis?

It's worth noting that those schools have ongoing traditions that have been largely perpetuated BY those coaches. In effect, it's still not necessarily realistic for the school to expect that kind of longevity. Instead, it is only realistic for the coach to bring that kind of longevity. Basically, it's an exception to the rule that is more in spite of the school size and because of the coach. We've seen it in the WCAL, but it's hardly the norm.

I'm also curious what Smithville expects to get. Make no mistake, Besancon is no Schrock, either in coaching style or caliber. But he was shaped in no small part by Schrock, so there are elements of Schrock's style that he can still bring.

It's easy to forget the speed bumps after someone leaves a good legacy, but despite Schrock's well-deserved legacy (I would personally argue that he's the best small-school area head coach in my lifetime, Jim France included), he did coach teams that lost games they should have won. Waynedale in '98? Chippewa in '99? Northwestern in '01? Monroe-Central in '01? Pleasant in '02 (I hate to cast aspersions on a State Title game, but they WERE winning into the third quarter, I believe)? Hillsdale in '05? Northwestern in '06?

But he did a ton to get his teams UP for games too, rising to meet teams that were superior in talent, size and speed. Dalton, Amanda-Clearcreek, and Shenandoah in '01. Dalton, Bedford St. Peter Chanel, and Delphos St. Johns in '02. Waynedale in '03. Dalton in '04. Dalton and Norwayne in '05. Norwayne in '11.

My point is, while I don't think Besancon is as good as Schrock, I'm not sure Smithville will find a candidate who is, and I think Besancon was definitely good. At least worth being treated as the bird in the hand, and with time, I could have seen him becoming a great coach.

After all again, he played under and coached under the Godfather himself. He knew what a successful program looked like from the inside, both as a player and as a coach.
    I heard that Mike Baker is the new head coach at Smithville. I just wonder now, will he keep the wing T type offense and will he go back to a 4 man front on the defensive line. I wish him the best, I hope he can recruit more football players and build our numbers back up. Only 30 kids last year took a toll after a great start.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678