View Poll Results: How many teams should be in the CFB playoff?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • 4

    3 16.67%
  • 6

    3 16.67%
  • 8

    10 55.56%
  • 12

    1 5.56%
  • 16

    0 0%
  • Other

    1 5.56%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 48

Thread: You're in charge of the college football playoff

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Charlotte NC
    Posts
    7,117
    Rep Power
    79

    You're in charge of the college football playoff

    Do you keep it the same or expand?

  2. #2
    In ROY I Trust!! wildcats20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Delaware, OH
    Posts
    27,794
    Rep Power
    72
    Scrap it and go back to the BCS.

    Or maybe just the Polls. Love the split National Titles.
    "God must be a Tar Heel, because the sky is Carolina Blue!!"

  3. #3
    Senior Member MontyBrunswick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    846
    Rep Power
    19
    voted for other. college football is a violent sport. they should just disband it.

  4. #4
    Administrator Ironman92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    49,362
    Rep Power
    114
    6.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Spock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Toledo
    Posts
    2,853
    Rep Power
    22
    8. No byes first round. Doesnt add any more weeks to the playoff. Only adds excitement.

  6. #6
    GOAT Laley23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    29,505
    Rep Power
    97
    6. 5 conference champs auto bid, plus top ranked at large. Still use CFP Committee to rank. 1-2 byes. 3-4 home game vs 5-6. Then go to current bowl rotation format.

    Emphasize the need for top wins and SOS over everything. Incentivize OSU to play Clemson instead of Akron, Alabama to play Oregon instead of Mercer. Michigan State to play LSU instead of EMU, etc. If they lose it doesn't matter, just win conference. But if you do win, and happen to lose conference, gives you leg up for 6th spot (at large). I think you'd start seeing teams schedule 2-3 marquee/semi-marquee games in non-con instead of the 1 they currently do.
    There's nothing more nerve racking than waiting in the McDonald's drive thru at 10:57 and wanting breakfast. -- Cody Zeller

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,703
    Rep Power
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Laley23 View Post
    6. 5 conference champs auto bid, plus top ranked at large. Still use CFP Committee to rank. 1-2 byes. 3-4 home game vs 5-6. Then go to current bowl rotation format.

    Emphasize the need for top wins and SOS over everything. Incentivize OSU to play Clemson instead of Akron, Alabama to play Oregon instead of Mercer. Michigan State to play LSU instead of EMU, etc. If they lose it doesn't matter, just win conference. But if you do win, and happen to lose conference, gives you leg up for 6th spot (at large). I think you'd start seeing teams schedule 2-3 marquee/semi-marquee games in non-con instead of the 1 they currently do.
    I like it but went with 8 over six. Would definitely take this though. Conference championships should mean something (otherwise really what is the point anymore) plus still have a shot kind of like wild cards.

  8. #8
    1st Team All-PWN like_that's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    26,625
    Rep Power
    243

    You're in charge of the college football playoff

    I like 6 with byes. Reward the top two teams. I saw on the other thread that some posters hate 6, because of the byes. The 6 team format works perfectly for the NFL. I donít think there is anything wrong for rewarding the top 2 teams with a bye. You can also sell me on 8, and you make the first round games hosted by the higher seed. I would love to see a home college atmosphere for a playoff game.

    To me 6 or 8, if your team doesnít get in then there really isnít much room to cry about it. I wouldnít feel bad for any teams sitting outside at 7 or 9.
    Last edited by like_that; 11.29.2017 at 07:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiernan View Post
    Alright guys, I have a confession. I really am a drunk dead beat POS. My kids hate me and hope I die so they can at least collect my $10 of inheritance. I have no life .

  9. #9
    In ROY I Trust!! wildcats20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Delaware, OH
    Posts
    27,794
    Rep Power
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by like_that View Post
    I like 6 with byes. Reward the top two teams. I saw on the other thread that some posters hate 6, because of the byes. The 6 team format works perfectly for the NFL. I donít think there is anything wrong for rewarding the top 2 teams with a bye. You can also sell me on 8, and you make the first round games hosted by the higher seed. I would love to see a home college atmosphere for a playoff game.

    To me 6 or 8, if your team doesnít get in then there really isnít much room to cry about it. I wouldnít feel bad for any teams sitting outside at 7 or 9.
    But the NFL is record based. So you can give the top 2 teams a bye. It's all about how many wins and how many losses. Doesn't matter who you beat or who you lost to.

    College football will never be about just wins and losses. There is always going to be an argument about strength of schedule and everything that comes with it.

    It would "have" to go to 8, imo. Give the 5 power 5 and auto bid, with the other 3 coming from the rest of college football. I don't think the group of 6 should get someone in just because.
    "God must be a Tar Heel, because the sky is Carolina Blue!!"

  10. #10
    In ROY I Trust!! wildcats20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Delaware, OH
    Posts
    27,794
    Rep Power
    72
    Take this year...

    We have an undefeated power 5 team and the team wouldn't be getting a bye because they don't have a great resume. Can you imagine if an NFL team went undefeated and had to play in a wild card game?

    The top ranked team has a loss to a team that is 4-8. A team that finished last in their division and 2nd to last in their conference.

    That team deserves a bye over an undefeated team?
    "God must be a Tar Heel, because the sky is Carolina Blue!!"

  11. #11
    Administrator Ironman92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    49,362
    Rep Power
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcats20 View Post
    Take this year...

    We have an undefeated power 5 team and the team wouldn't be getting a bye because they don't have a great resume. Can you imagine if an NFL team went undefeated and had to play in a wild card game?

    The top ranked team has a loss to a team that is 4-8. A team that finished last in their division and 2nd to last in their conference.

    That team deserves a bye over an undefeated team?
    2nd part not really

    1st part though NFL is different. NCAA is only teams 12-0 to 10-2...all pretty close. SOS has to be a factor but NFL has years where a team finishes 4th and next year gets an easier division, easier schedule and goes 11-5 and then gets knocked by the 8-8 or 9-7 WC team

    I do agree the difference between is not only minimal but hard to debate without realizing the other team is also deserving. Right now I just think the committee is wrong have 2 loss Auburn above Clemson or OK...and if they beat Georgia they arenít dropping from top 2.....they would get a bye and I would have trouble with that assuming OK and Clemson win.

    Weíll see after it all unfolds Saturday. Last year I had no doubts OSU was top 4, I have some doubts clearly about Bama....but donít know they arenít.

    If Wisconsin wins things will be pretty clear IMO.

    I definitely donít have a problem with 8 with round 1 at home. If they could quit making dumb arguments about great wins over Fresno St and NC St and stuff Iíd be more apt to give the byes and would be fine most years....but no this year with Auburn getting one.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Automatik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    14,629
    Rep Power
    87
    4. Haven't seen enough of it yet to warrant a change.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    667
    Rep Power
    7
    4. This year you just have a lot of teams that don't deserve to be in. We've yet to see more than 4 that do deserve to be in.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Spock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Toledo
    Posts
    2,853
    Rep Power
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by kizer permanente View Post
    4. This year you just have a lot of teams that don't deserve to be in. We've yet to see more than 4 that do deserve to be in.
    as long as human subjectivity is involved......there is always going to be an argument about teams 5-8.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Dr Winston O'Boogie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    1,799
    Rep Power
    32
    6 Other

    I miss the old bowl system pre BCS. One of the best things about college football was the debates around who the national champ should be. The new year bowls were so much more fun when they included all of the top teams and they were the goal of every team in the country.

  16. #16
    GOAT Laley23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    29,505
    Rep Power
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by kizer permanente View Post
    4. This year you just have a lot of teams that don't deserve to be in. We've yet to see more than 4 that do deserve to be in.
    You mean except for last year, right?
    There's nothing more nerve racking than waiting in the McDonald's drive thru at 10:57 and wanting breakfast. -- Cody Zeller

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    14,375
    Rep Power
    53
    32 the lower divisions is too many.

    I would go to 6 teams.

    Top 2 get a bye.

    First round, at the higher seed, is mid december. Then the semi finals and finals are like we currently have
    Indians: 2017 ALDS runners-up!

  18. #18
    Senior Member FatHobbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    8,651
    Rep Power
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcats20 View Post
    It would "have" to go to 8, imo. Give the 5 power 5 and auto bid, with the other 3 coming from the rest of college football. I don't think the group of 6 should get someone in just because.
    This is basically how i feel. Unless they find a non subjective way to determine who gets a bye. I don't want Alabama (or OSU) getting a bye just because the committee thinks they should. It needs to be settled inn the field as much as possible.
    Craig James killed five hookers.

  19. #19
    GOAT Laley23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    29,505
    Rep Power
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by FatHobbit View Post
    This is basically how i feel. Unless they find a non subjective way to determine who gets a bye. I don't want Alabama (or OSU) getting a bye just because the committee thinks they should. It needs to be settled inn the field as much as possible.
    If be fine with a conference ranking of some sort to seed the conference winners.
    There's nothing more nerve racking than waiting in the McDonald's drive thru at 10:57 and wanting breakfast. -- Cody Zeller

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    667
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Laley23 View Post
    You mean except for last year, right?
    no?

  21. #21
    GOAT Laley23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    29,505
    Rep Power
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by kizer permanente View Post
    no?
    There was pretty big debates about OSU over Penn State, with PSU having beaten them and won the B1G Title game. So, your statement about this being first year of controversy is not true.
    There's nothing more nerve racking than waiting in the McDonald's drive thru at 10:57 and wanting breakfast. -- Cody Zeller

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    667
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Laley23 View Post
    There was pretty big debates about OSU over Penn State, with PSU having beaten them and won the B1G Title game. So, your statement about this being first year of controversy is not true.
    No. Osu shouldn’t have gotten in. They didn’t deserve it. Neither did PSU with 2 losses. There were only 2 teams who did deserve it and they played for the title. So, no. Not more than 4. Less than.

  23. #23
    Senior Member Automatik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    14,629
    Rep Power
    87
    lol

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    667
    Rep Power
    7
    Even at 4 in nearly every year you’re going to have teams make the final slot or even 2 slots who are not as good at the top 1 or 2 teams. Expanding it will make it even worse. I don’t think there was anything wrong with how it was done before. People are always going to bitch no matter what.

  25. #25
    GOAT Laley23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    29,505
    Rep Power
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by kizer permanente View Post
    No. Osu shouldn’t have gotten in. They didn’t deserve it. Neither did PSU with 2 losses. There were only 2 teams who did deserve it and they played for the title. So, no. Not more than 4. Less than.
    I see what you're saying now. Mistook the post.
    There's nothing more nerve racking than waiting in the McDonald's drive thru at 10:57 and wanting breakfast. -- Cody Zeller

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •