View Poll Results: How many teams should be in the CFB playoff?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • 4

    3 16.67%
  • 6

    3 16.67%
  • 8

    10 55.56%
  • 12

    1 5.56%
  • 16

    0 0%
  • Other

    1 5.56%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 48 of 48

Thread: You're in charge of the college football playoff

  1. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    667
    Rep Power
    7
    Yeah I guess my point is you can expand it to 6 if you want. It feels unnecessary to me. You generally know who the top teams are in the country. There’s rarely more than 4. There’s rarely more than 2-3 to be honest. 4’s a good number. At 4 you catch the teams that had a loss early on like OSU in 14 who still were clearly a top team.
    I’d keep it at 4.

  2. #27
    Senior Member Automatik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    14,629
    Rep Power
    87
    4 team playoff > BCS formula bullshit

    And it's not close.

  3. #28
    Senior Member Verbal Kint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    San Pedro PD
    Posts
    236
    Rep Power
    10
    I like 8. 5 auto for the P5, 3 at large, no more than 2 teams total per conference. If a G5 gets above the 12 spot (UCF would this year), they make it as fodder for the 1 seed.

  4. #29
    Senior Member Classyposter58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bowling Green
    Posts
    6,321
    Rep Power
    27
    Leave it as is

  5. #30
    Senior Member Spock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Toledo
    Posts
    2,853
    Rep Power
    22
    here is what you are going to get going forward with 4:

    play a weak schedule and get in (Alabama) without a conference championahip

    With 6-8 teams you get win your conference or play a tough OOC schedule and maybe get in with 2 losses.

  6. #31
    Senior Member FatHobbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    8,651
    Rep Power
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by Spock View Post
    play a weak schedule and get in (Alabama) without a conference championahip
    I hope they leave Bama out just because of their shitty schedule
    Craig James killed five hookers.

  7. #32
    Senior Member FatHobbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    8,651
    Rep Power
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by kizer permanente View Post
    No. Osu shouldn’t have gotten in. They didn’t deserve it. Neither did PSU with 2 losses. There were only 2 teams who did deserve it and they played for the title. So, no. Not more than 4. Less than.
    The fact OSU won the first playoff when everybody thought Bama or Oregon were going to win proves that nobody knows who the best team is. I don't like when a power conference champ gets left out. You can't tell me that there weren't years the big 12 champ could have been competitive. The people who "know" who the best teams are, are often wrong. It's why they settle it on the field now instead of everyone playing in their bowl game and people knowing who the best team is.
    Last edited by FatHobbit; 11.30.2017 at 02:55 PM.
    Craig James killed five hookers.

  8. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    667
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by FatHobbit View Post
    The fact OSU won the first playoff when everybody thought Bama or Oregon were going to win proves that nobody knows who the best team is. I don't like when a power conference champ gets left out. You can't tell me that there weren't years the big 12 champ could have been competitive. The people who "know" who the best teams are, are often wrong. It's why they settle it on the field now instead of everyone playing in their bowl game and people knowing who the best team is.
    Alabama yes. Oregon no. And the point remains unchanged. OSU was one of the best teams that year and deserved to be in. So tell me who outside of those 4 in ‘14 should have been in bc they were going to beat OSU or Alabama? No one on the outside looking in were on their level. 4 is fine.

  9. #34
    Senior Member Terry_Tate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7,606
    Rep Power
    50
    8 teams. 5 auto bids, top Group of 5 team, and 2 wild cards.

    Quarterfinals are played 2 weeks after conference championship games to allow for a bye, then bowls and championship stay the same. Games are played at the top 4 seeds home stadiums. Quarterfinals start at Noon, 2pm, 5:30pm, and 9pm. Full day of ratings domination.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You kill the jo, you make some mo\'!

  10. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Newark,Ohio
    Posts
    2,387
    Rep Power
    44
    I would keep it at 4.

  11. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Charlotte NC
    Posts
    7,117
    Rep Power
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by FatHobbit View Post
    I hope they leave Bama out just because of their shitty schedule
    I would look forward to a new "Phyllis from Mulga" rant.

  12. #37
    Senior Member Classyposter58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bowling Green
    Posts
    6,321
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry_Tate View Post
    8 teams. 5 auto bids, top Group of 5 team, and 2 wild cards.

    Quarterfinals are played 2 weeks after conference championship games to allow for a bye, then bowls and championship stay the same. Games are played at the top 4 seeds home stadiums. Quarterfinals start at Noon, 2pm, 5:30pm, and 9pm. Full day of ratings domination.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I ask why though? Last year did we really need Alabama to go through the 8 seed Wisconsin and 4 seed Washington to get to Clemson? Or the Tigers to play Oklahoma and Ohio State to get to Alabama?

    Many times throughout the BCS history 1-2 were easily the best, and the years that it was not, your deserving teams were within the top 4. The wonderful thing about the college football season is that it means so much because many of these things are settled throughout the season.

    Say we go with the Top 8 format this year, then conferences would seek to eliminate title games because Auburn/UGA and Wisconsin/OSU would be much more detrimental, than having both sit at home as then all teams would make the playoffs. It'd water down the hell out of schedules, whereas this current system makes for some awesome non conference games.

    And then if you go with conference champions then you couldn't do division champs anymore, you'd have to do two best teams in W-L or ranking if multiple teams are tied at 8-1, because we've seen instances where a #20 team wins a shitty division and takes on a top 5 team in a conference title like Florida last year. It'd be shitty as hell if they pull one crazy game out of their ass and make a playoff.

    So so many complications with an 8 team system that no one talks about
    Last edited by Classyposter58; 11.30.2017 at 09:16 PM.

  13. #38
    Senior Member Spock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Toledo
    Posts
    2,853
    Rep Power
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Classyposter58 View Post
    I ask why though? Last year did we really need Alabama to go through the 8 seed Wisconsin and 4 seed Washington to get to Clemson? Or the Tigers to play Oklahoma and Ohio State to get to Alabama?

    Many times throughout the BCS history 1-2 were easily the best, and the years that it was not, your deserving teams were within the top 4. The wonderful thing about the college football season is that it means so much because many of these things are settled throughout the season.

    Say we go with the Top 8 format this year, then conferences would seek to eliminate title games because Auburn/UGA and Wisconsin/OSU would be much more detrimental, than having both sit at home as then all teams would make the playoffs. It'd water down the hell out of schedules, whereas this current system makes for some awesome non conference games.

    And then if you go with conference champions then you couldn't do division champs anymore, you'd have to do two best teams in W-L or ranking if multiple teams are tied at 8-1, because we've seen instances where a #20 team wins a shitty division and takes on a top 5 team in a conference title like Florida last year. It'd be shitty as hell if they pull one crazy game out of their ass and make a playoff.

    So so many complications with an 8 team system that no one talks about
    This whole post just assumes that 8 seeds will lose.

  14. #39
    Senior Member Terry_Tate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7,606
    Rep Power
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by Classyposter58 View Post
    I ask why though? Last year did we really need Alabama to go through the 8 seed Wisconsin and 4 seed Washington to get to Clemson? Or the Tigers to play Oklahoma and Ohio State to get to Alabama?

    Many times throughout the BCS history 1-2 were easily the best, and the years that it was not, your deserving teams were within the top 4. The wonderful thing about the college football season is that it means so much because many of these things are settled throughout the season.

    Say we go with the Top 8 format this year, then conferences would seek to eliminate title games because Auburn/UGA and Wisconsin/OSU would be much more detrimental, than having both sit at home as then all teams would make the playoffs. It'd water down the hell out of schedules, whereas this current system makes for some awesome non conference games.

    And then if you go with conference champions then you couldn't do division champs anymore, you'd have to do two best teams in W-L or ranking if multiple teams are tied at 8-1, because we've seen instances where a #20 team wins a shitty division and takes on a top 5 team in a conference title like Florida last year. It'd be shitty as hell if they pull one crazy game out of their ass and make a playoff.

    So so many complications with an 8 team system that no one talks about
    It would really suck to have another Saturday featuring 4 games between the top teams in college football.

    Teams would still schedule great games because they know if they win those but lose their conference they could get one of the two at Large spots. And if they're one of the top 4 teams then they'd get a home playoff game. Who wouldn't want to do that?

    This Saturday has 3 possible elimination games, and I'm excited as can be for those matchups knowing Georgia-Auburn, Miami-Clemson, and possibly Ohio State-Wisconsin are "play in" games. In an 8 team format those matchups would possibly be for a playoff berth plus a home game, and the teams that lose could possibly be an "at-large" team. Teams that schedule shitty non-conference games would still be punished just like they are now. But if you win a power 5 conference most years you should have a playoff spot. There will be years when a conference sucks and their winner might be 15th but so what.

    8 teams would be a great setup. Sign me up for more Saturdays like this one.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You kill the jo, you make some mo\'!

  15. #40
    Senior Member Classyposter58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bowling Green
    Posts
    6,321
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry_Tate View Post
    It would really suck to have another Saturday featuring 4 games between the top teams in college football.

    Teams would still schedule great games because they know if they win those but lose their conference they could get one of the two at Large spots. And if they're one of the top 4 teams then they'd get a home playoff game. Who wouldn't want to do that?

    This Saturday has 3 possible elimination games, and I'm excited as can be for those matchups knowing Georgia-Auburn, Miami-Clemson, and possibly Ohio State-Wisconsin are "play in" games. In an 8 team format those matchups would possibly be for a playoff berth plus a home game, and the teams that lose could possibly be an "at-large" team. Teams that schedule shitty non-conference games would still be punished just like they are now. But if you win a power 5 conference most years you should have a playoff spot. There will be years when a conference sucks and their winner might be 15th but so what.

    8 teams would be a great setup. Sign me up for more Saturdays like this one.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree about the entertainment value, but as I said theres no way these conferences will ever let this happen. But you're crazy if you think teams will play big non conference games yearly, the way the leagues are you're guaranteed enough big games to get you in, why play one more? Plus the expansion means we are now playing 16 game seasons, they're gonna want as many cupcakes as possible

  16. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    667
    Rep Power
    7
    Footballs a physical enough sport. Do we need to add extra weeks to it? It’s not going to benefit the game.

  17. #42
    Senior Member Classyposter58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bowling Green
    Posts
    6,321
    Rep Power
    27
    http://www.foxsports.com/college-foo...alabama-011217

    Article by Mandel echoes my comments to a tee. The powers that be want no part of 8 teams, they want four teams in traditional bowls with weekly standings shows that drum up conversation points and excitement all week leading up to games

    The only expansion that I think should be pushed is a playoff for the non power 5 teams, that'd be awesome

  18. #43
    Senior Member Verbal Kint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    San Pedro PD
    Posts
    236
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Classyposter58 View Post
    then conferences would seek to eliminate title games because Auburn/UGA and Wisconsin/OSU would be much more detrimental, than having both sit at home as then all teams would make the playoffs. It'd water down the hell out of schedules, whereas this current system makes for some awesome non conference games.
    Nope, easy fix, no conference championship game, no automatic birth.

  19. #44
    Senior Member Verbal Kint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    San Pedro PD
    Posts
    236
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Classyposter58 View Post
    The only expansion that I think should be pushed is a playoff for the non power 5 teams, that'd be awesome
    I have always thought this. Much better than the Whogivesashit Bowl on Dec 19th between 2nd MWC and 3rd AAC.

  20. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    6,239
    Rep Power
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by kizer permanente View Post
    Footballs a physical enough sport. Do we need to add extra weeks to it? It’s not going to benefit the game.
    Bobby Carpenter brought this up on a podcast I listened to yesterday. At what point do you need to start compensating some of the athletes for all this expansion? An 8-team playoff brings the season total up to what, 15-16 games? A lot of risk, not much reward.
    Chuck! Chuck, it's Marvin! Your cousin, Marvin Berry!

  21. #46
    Senior Member Spock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Toledo
    Posts
    2,853
    Rep Power
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by friendfromlowry View Post
    Bobby Carpenter brought this up on a podcast I listened to yesterday. At what point do you need to start compensating some of the athletes for all this expansion? An 8-team playoff brings the season total up to what, 15-16 games? A lot of risk, not much reward.
    2-4 games on every top teams schedule are cupcakes. You think the SEC needs to play their starters when they play DIII schools on week 11? Do you think that OSU can play against Yougstown state with their 3rd string and survive?

    argument doesnt hold water.

  22. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    6,239
    Rep Power
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by Spock View Post
    2-4 games on every top teams schedule are cupcakes. You think the SEC needs to play their starters when they play DIII schools on week 11? Do you think that OSU can play against Yougstown state with their 3rd string and survive?

    argument doesnt hold water.
    OSU hasn't played Youngstown State since 2008 so I'm not sure what the hell your point is. And if Alabama doesn't get into the playoffs because of their schedule being too weak I'd wonder how many teams will keep scheduling the cupcakes.

    Who are the three teams this year you would have felt confident playing against with the reserves? Keep in mind that if you happen to lose that may be all it takes to keep you out of the playoffs. They also still practice and train throughout the week. Ahmmon Richards, a great wide receiver for Miami hurt his knee in practice the other day and is out for the rest of the season.
    Chuck! Chuck, it's Marvin! Your cousin, Marvin Berry!

  23. #48
    Senior Member Spock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Toledo
    Posts
    2,853
    Rep Power
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by friendfromlowry View Post
    OSU hasn't played Youngstown State since 2008 so I'm not sure what the hell your point is. And if Alabama doesn't get into the playoffs because of their schedule being too weak I'd wonder how many teams will keep scheduling the cupcakes.

    Who are the three teams this year you would have felt confident playing against with the reserves? Keep in mind that if you happen to lose that may be all it takes to keep you out of the playoffs. They also still practice and train throughout the week. Ahmmon Richards, a great wide receiver for Miami hurt his knee in practice the other day and is out for the rest of the season.
    Ok now listen and read carefully...... The Youngstown state quote was an example to represent every cupcake game that the top 15-20 teams play every year. Someone said football is tough and 15-16 games is a lot. My post referred to the fact that your top players can.literally sit for 2-3 games a year or only play 2 quarters. OSU just beat Michigan with a backup QB. Obviously they didn't need JT during games like Illinois.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •